This is how we've come to understand and experience love: Christ sacrificed his life for us. This is why we ought to live sacrificially for our fellow believers, and not just be out for ourselves. If you see some brother or sister in need and have the means to do something about it but turn a cold shoulder and do nothing, what happens to God's love? It disappears. And you made it disappear.
Friday, May 18, 2012
Sunday, April 10, 2011
Friday, April 8, 2011
- Italy. The whole country. I don't want to miss a corner, a cafe, a shop, or a fountain.
- Banff National Forest. Saw a feature on this park one time in National Geographic and it's just stuck in my mind ever since.
- Prince Edward Island. Yes, I am a card-carrying member of the Anne of Green Gables Society.
- Ireland. Part of the family came from Tipperary and I want to see those "forty shades of green" for myself.
- New York. That's right, I've never been to New York. I've been avoiding it like I avoid people who are full of themselves.
Sunday, February 27, 2011
Saturday, January 1, 2011
- Write. There's a story that needs telling. Thoughts that have to get out or they are going to just bounce around in there until I lose it. It's this year. And I have a leg-up thanks to my friends Stephanie Newton and Lisa Long.
- Join the 5 o'clock club. I already know that I get more done when I get up early. My "To Do List" can be mostly crossed off by 11 o'clock if I get up early. I think I'm just scared I might take over the world if I am that productive. Well, no more fear. Just a very awake Janet at 5 o'clock.
- Run. I love it. It makes my head clear and my heart pump. It's a part of me now that I can't ignore. See you on the streets, peeps.
- Craft. It's my outlet for what little creativity I do possess. Also, if I don't do something with all those supplies my husband is gonna croak.
- Jesus. Instead of just stewing in my own disgust at the cultural Christianity that I find myself participating in, I'm asking God to throw me into different relationships that challenge my idea of what Jesus would do. I'll put the pics on Facebook.
What about you?
(Thank you, April, for the inspiration to do this.)
Friday, December 17, 2010
- Cieran Hinds.
He was scarily vulnerable in Eclipse. He was charming and romantic in Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day. He was passionate and commanding in Persuasion. I can't get enough.
- Cary Grant
Old-school romance and humor, baby.
- Colin Firth
You will forever be Mr. Darcy, Mr. Firth.
- John Krasinski
So much more than The Office. Ex: Away We Go, Leatherheads
- Brad Paisley
He's not in a movie, yet. But, a girl can hope, can't she?
Tuesday, November 30, 2010
Week One: Hope
Scripture: Romans 15:13
Romans 15:13I am sad to say that there are more days when my well is low than when it is overflowing. It seems that somewhere in the midst of my giving out of myself to those I serve, I forget that I am not my source. I cannot fill my own well. I must allow God to fill me with his joy and peace. The result is a bubbling over of hope that I spill onto every single person I encounter. It would be like the wake of a ship, visible long after I leave a person's presence.
13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit
Here is a prayer poem by Amy Carmichael:
Hope through me, God of Hope,
Or never can I know
Deep wells and living streams of hope,
And pools of overflow.
Flood me with hope today
For souls perverse, undone,
For sinful souls that turn away,
Blind sunflowers from their Sun.
O blessed Hope of God,
Flow through me patiently,
Until I hope for everyone
As Thou hast hoped for me.